Thursday, June 14, 2007

Introduction - Eating Well on a Limited Budget

Well, this is my first attempt at blogging, so please bear with me as I learn what works.

I was inspired by a recent TV newscast where some politician attempted to prove that the current Food Stamps allocation is insufficient. Back in the 90's I was on Food Stamps for a few months and I fared pretty well. (At the end of six months I had about $50 left over.) I wanted to see if I could still do that today, while eating well.

Currently, a single adult can receive the maximum of $155/month, or about $1.75 per meal per day. Since I'm living with my boyfriend, the maximum ammount we could receive would be $284, or about $1.57/meal.

Here's the link to the USDA chart if you want to see how much your family could receive.
http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/faqs.htm#25

We earn too much to qualify for Food Stamps, but I wanted to see how close we could keep to that $1.57/meal budget, without sacrificing our food choices. We prefer to eat locally produced, organic foods. We're vegetarians (except I sometimes eat fish), and we're both big guys who enjoy our food, so this will be an interesting challenge.

Finally, I'm probably not going to get into the politics of food policy, poverty, or other issues that don't relate to our weekly food buying and prep. Those comments are welcome, but that's not my focus. What I hope to do here is record my daily menu, costs, and perhaps some recipe sharing and tips to help people eat well on a limited budget.

No comments: